Cherries

We have been to

Italy -Rome, Venice, Milan, Como Lake, Bellagio, Florence, Bologna. United Kingdom -The whole Kingdom including scottish land. Belgium France -Paris, Lille, Calais, Metz, Nancy. The Netherland -Amsterdam, Utretcht, Roermond, Mastricht, Rotterdam, Zaans schans, Velondam, keukenhof etc. Chez Republic -Prague. Slovakia -Bratislava. Hungary -Budapest. Austria -Vienna, Salzburg. Switzerland -Basel, Zurich, Interlaken Lake, jungfraujich, geneva, brig, lausanne, Lugano Germany -West and East Germany except Munich. Luxembourg United States of America -San Francisco, Hawaii. Poland -Warsaw and Lodz Spain -Madrid, Cordoba, Seville, Granada, Barcelona Turkey -Istanbul Singapore Russia -st.petersburg and counting...

Adds

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Call it a gift or a burden debt.



or





A gift? a present ? la cadeau, hadiah etc.

All those words above are representing the similar meaning which is 'Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation.' What is the purpose of giving a present to the selected or chosen people in our life? For me, one of the motif is to appreciate or celebrate any special days in that person life without burden ourselves by monthly payment. It does not matter the price is cheap since we spend within our well means.

Let's say I bought a gift for my husband by swiping my credit card because I have not got enough cash in my account , and the consequence is I have to pay my plastic debt for a few months ( if I am lucky it only takes a month to pay up my debt, but what if I just pay the minimum payment and it takes me a year or more to finish up paying my debt? One debt is acceptable , but what happen if I have a previous outstanding debt? ), I shall not call it a gift anymore because it has burden my monthly paycheck to settle my outstanding debt.

I do not understand of some people who spend thousands ringgit let say for the extra gadget, designer handbags, etc. I can comprehend your passion about buying more than one designer handbags at one time if you pay cash, because you have a debt no more and you really can afford them, but, if you paid by credit card, you can show off how many designer handbags that you bought, but what is the point? You are not paying them yet and you still have to pay to your bank thousands ringgit for the next month onwards for your debt.

Giving a house as a gift, and the giver has to pay the monthly mortgage is acceptable. House is something cliche to pay monthly for a long period of time. Some people maybe think how about the car? Car is acceptable as well to give as a gift but in the condition of, the giver pays a decent amount of the down payment so that the monthly payment is smaller and the period is shorter. Five year is better, seven year is acceptable but nine year is no-no. What is the point of buying a luxury car as a gift but then you have to pay thousand or more for the monthly payment. It such a waste unless you really can afford it, perhaps thousand is like hundred or maybe less to your ratio income.

Besides , I do not see the logic of giving and owning the luxury car, an advance gadget etc just to add up our debts, seriously they are not really yours until you pay up all your debt.

You are lucky to get to pay the debt if you have a decent job, but just pause and think, what is gonna happen if the economic downturn and you lost your job and your income? Who is gonna pay your debt? Trust me when this is really happening you will realise this life is not as lovey dovey and exquisite anymore. 'Ibarat, abang ada duit ayang sayang, abang takde duit dan kena kejar bank sebab hutang ayang melayang' , or otherwise!

I met 'luxury living' family once in the past years and sometimes I did not understand where on earth they get the money to cater their will until one day, the husband was caught of misusing the office money. That is the first case. The next one is, the wife has to sell their inheritance, here is 'the land' just to pay her husband credit cards debt that reached almost RM 100K ( see 's' at the end of the word card? Yes, you get me right. The husband owned more than one credit cards and he kept making debt to pay another debt. His situation was like 'gali lubang, tutup lubang' and at the end the 'lubang' was not able to 'tutup' anymore.

I do have my personal experience about credit card debt. When the first time I had my job, I spent my money crazily. Credit card was one of the extra 'money' in my pocket when I did not have cash in hands. After a few years of paying a mimimum payment, the debt was 'sustainable'and the interest was increasing. One day, I lost my job just like in the blink of an eye and I struggled to pay my debt for four months without my fix income. I was lucky to have to pay for the car and the plastic only and they were worth around RM 700 per month. What if I had to pay up to thousand and more and at the same time unemployed? Who shall I ask the money?From my parents? They are not rich enough and they have their own commitment. The siblings? They have their own family and debt. The situation was extremly tensed and difficult. Four months were like forever. Fortunately, at last I got a new job and the problem was half solved. Nevertheless, today I am happy because I am living in a debt free.

I am no expert far of being one of the financial strategy on spending money. I do have time when I crazily bought my desired items up to hundred Euro or more at once but I only bought them when I do not need to swipe the credit card.

Enough say, I rather choose travelling by public transport instead of buying a car in here just to show off I can afford it but at the same time, I have zero saving in my bank account.

Anyway, at the end we are what we choose! So it all up to us. Though, for me I am hoping not to be a person who is struggling with a large debt. I opt for spending within my means. InsyaAllah..

4 comments:

areT said...

DEBTS AND CREDIT CARD????EEEWW "OH JAHATNYA KAMU...JAHATNYA KAMU"..HE3

Nurul said...

aik..capital letters nmpk?marah ke?hhehehe ..ala aret tu personal opinion aku yg pernah terkena bebanan hutang kredit kad ..takde maksud pd kawan2 aku..jgn terasa k..hehehe..

ni aku tulis bila tgk one of my cousin ..wife nya yg poyo...rupanya aku dpt tau dr mak aku walau cousin aku bg honda city kat dia as a birthday gift tapi downpayment laki dia bayr 1k je..n bulan2 kena 1k lebey for 9 years..mcm tu la leby kuranhg..ni mcm amalan biar bergaya asal papa.hehhee

areT said...

x la nurul...aku malas nk disable caps lock tadi,aku pon bab2 kredit kad ni, mmg tensi, skg keja aku membayar hotang2 lama je ni....

Nurul said...

payah kannak abis kad kredit nya hutang..aku last2 bank bg surat katanya kalu aku bayar lumpsum 1500 settle dia bg diskaun 50percent dr 3k..aku bayar kalu ikut abis lama dh tp interest tu yg asik beranak..last2 dh settle before balik mesia aritu am settlekan..